Sunday, September 26, 2004

Autumn Slips Away

I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air.
~ Nathaniel Hawthorne ~


Snow fell in Anchorage, but all we have here in Fairbanks is rain. The wind has also grown stronger and the leaves quake on the limbs of the aspens. In Canada these trees are called "trembling aspens". Here in Alaska they are called "quaking aspens". In the slightest breeze, this tree's small round leaves tremble almost incessantly, like thousands of butterfly wings, fluttering and twinkling. When the wind is strong, like it is today, it's a beautiful sight. But it is also a final dance, as one by one, each leaf is released from the branch and sent spiraling and sailing to the ground.

During my morning walk with Sedona, I encountered a feisty squirrel who chattered at us with a vengeance when we approached her tree. I watched her carry large mouthfuls of grass and plant matter up the tree and to her nest, padding it in preparation for winter. These squirrels are an amazing bunch. I have seen them foraging on -20F winter days.

The damp weather brings a chill to the air. I didn't wear gloves this morning and had to fold my hands up into the sleeves of my fleece jacket periodically. The brisk air is invigorating, blowing the morning drowsiness away.

I look forward to snow and the quiet, dark mornings when the only sound I hear is the snow crunching beneath my boots.

Autumn Carpet


Preparing the Nest


Tiny Raindrops